Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Samurai Heraldry Gallery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barcah2001
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is such a tremendous resource. I hope that you continue to expand the art work. I assume you will also combine your word into a disk or booklet in the future?

Mark
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the kind words. Maybe someday I'll do an illustrated book. In the meantime...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ikeda, who would serve all three Unifiers.

IKEDA NOBUTERU (1536-84)- Served Oda Nobunaga and fought at Okehazama and Anegawa. After Nobunaga's death he fought for Hideyoshi at Yamazaki and the Komaki campaign where he and his eldest son Yukisuke were killed in action against Ieyasu at Nagakute.

Nobuteru's personal sashimono and black horo appear in several RG books. The red nobori is based on the Anegawa screen. The hata-jirushi is speculative based on similar designs used by other clans. The sashimono is speculative inspired by those being used in today's festivals by Ikeda reenactors.

IKEDA TERUMASA (1564-1613)- Nobuteru's other son Terumasa survived Nagakute. Later married one of Ieyasu's daughters. At Sekigahara he would lead 4,500 troops as part of Ieyasu's rearguards.

Nobori #1 is based on those used in Sekigahara Festivals. The ashigaru sashimono based on O Uma-jirushi. The rest of the set appear in several RG heraldry books.

IKEDA TOSHITAKA (1584-1616)- Terumasa's son Toshitaka accompanied him in the Sekigahara campaign and took part in the Osaka campaign. Toshitaka led 8,000 men to secure the Nakajima area north of Osaka castle.

The two nobori are from RG books. The yellow ochre nobori were Toshitaka's personal standards displayed only over his HQ. The rest of the set described in The Sourcebook which match those of his son Mitsumasa's set which appear in O Uma-jirushi.

IKEDA MITSUMASA (1609-82) - Became daimyo of Okayama upon the death of his father Ikeda Toshitaka.

Mitsumasa's set which appear in O Uma-jirushi, 'inherited' from his father Toshitaka.

Terumasa's grandson, Ikeda Nagayuki took part in the Osaka Summer Campaign.

I know very little of the other sons of Ikeda Terumasa, born too late to see action.

During the operations to secure the riverside forts in the Osaka Winter Campaign, Ikeda Tadakatsu led 5,000 men and assisted Hachikusa Yoshishige and Asano Nagaakira in taking the fort of Kizugawaguchi which lay at the mouth of the Kizugawa. Tadakatsu would later take up positions in the siege lines to the west of Osaka castle.

Nagayuki, Teruzumi, Masatsuna and Tadakatsu are all from 'O Uma-jirushi'.

Last edited by evalerio on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:56 pm; edited 10 times in total
Akaguma
Kibamusha
Kibamusha
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great work, as always !
I like Nobuteru's nobori with the goma no riken
BadMonk
Merchant
Merchant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fantastic! (again).

evalerio wrote:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the kind words. Maybe someday I'll do an illustrated book. In the meantime...

The Ikeda, who would serve all three Unifiers.

Ikeda Nobuteru served Oda Nobunaga and fought at Okehazama and Anegawa. After Nobunaga's death he fought for Hideyoshi at Yamazaki and the Komaki campaign where he and his eldest son Yukisuke were killed in action against Ieyasu at Nagakute.

Nobuteru's other son Terumasa survived Nagakute. Later married one of Ieyasu's daughters. At Sekigahara he would lead 4,500 troops as part of Ieyasu's rearguards.

Terumasa's son Toshitaka accompanied him in the Sekigahara campaign and took part in the Osaka campaign.

Nobuteru's red nobori appears on the Anegawa screen. All the other banners appear in color plates in Rekishi Gunzo books. The sashimono would be the same as those of Ikeda Mitsumasa (below).

Ikeda Mitsumasa became daimyo of Okayama upon the death of his father Ikeda Toshitaka.

Turnbull's description in The Sourcebook of Toshitaka's heraldry are the same as those of his son Mitsumasa's complete set in 'O uma jirushi', and is also illustrated in a Rekishi Gunzo book.

evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The KURODA. Like the Ikeda would serve all three 'Unifiers'.

KURODA JOSUI YOSHITAKA (1546-1604) - A gifted strategist who would become one of Toyotomi Hideyoshi's closest companions. He would serve in the campaigns in Shikoku and Kyushu, and see service in the Second Invasion of Korea. During the Sekigahara campaign he fought for Tokugawa Ieyasu in Bungo and Chikuzen where his army linked up with Kato Kiyomasa.

Close-up of detail of Yoshitaka's banners:

All the nobori and the gold ring standard appear in RG heraldry books. The nobori with Kuroda mon, the white plumed standard and the red sashimono appear in O Uma-jirushi. The Sourcebook describe the sashimono as blue.

KURODA NAGAMASA (1568-1623) - Yoshitaka's son Nagamasa at eight years old was sent to Oda Nobunaga as a hostage. He would distinguish himself in the invasion of Kyushu and lead a contingent of 6,000 in the Invasion of Korea. He would act as rearguard holding Pusan when the Japanese finally withdrew from Korea. He was part of the Tokugawa vanguard at the Battle of Sekigahara and was part of Tokugawa Hidetada's contingent in the Osaka campaign.

The sashimono is based on illustration in Turnbull's 'The Book of the Samurai' and Osprey's 'Samurai Heraldry'. The rest of the banners based on Rekishi Gunzo heraldry books and the Sekigahara screens.

KURODA TADAYUKI (1602-54) - Yoshitaka's grandson and Nagamasa's successor, Tadayuki would serve in the suppression of the Shimabarra Rebellion.

Tadayuki's green nobori is based on Sourcebook description which shows he 'inherited' his father Nagamasa's banners. The set appear in O Uma-jirushi.

KURODA NAGAOKI (1610-65) - Tadayuki's brother. Took part in the suppression of the Shimabarra Rebellion.

Based on an illustration by Nitta Nakanishi showing Kuroda Nagaoki leading his troops during the Shimabarra Rebellion.

Last edited by evalerio on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 am; edited 25 times in total
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Emmanuel.

You're going to be the best online pictorial english
language source about Samurai Heraldry, and I'm not
joking.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ogami Itto
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
FANTASTIC Artwork!

I would love to see the heraldry of the Itakura, Kuroda and Mukai families, and possibly also the Matsuura family though it might get to extensive.
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mukai Masatsuna, a Kitabatake retainer that would serve the Takeda, then serve Tokugawa Ieyasu as a naval commander during the Odawara Campaign of 1590.

Mukai Tadakatsu, Tokugawa Ieyasu's admiral who fought during the Osaka Winter Campaign as part of the fleet commanded by Kuki Moritaka.

One of the most unique and colorful sets. I have not found a Mukai nobori. The Mukai seem to have preferred 3d objects as standards, with 'alternate' sets of both Great Standards and Lesser Standards. The set above is described in Turnbull's Sourcebook. The complete set appears in 'O Uma-jirushi' which includes a red fukinuki. The 'bell' standard and a 'solid square' Tadakatsu sashimono are also illustrated in Turnbull's 'Samurai Heraldry' A 'slashed' Tadakatsu sashimono appears in 'O uma-jirushi'.

Last edited by evalerio on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Matsuura, a naval power affiliated with Wako that waged war on its neighbors from the sea, attacking even Portuguese ships.

Matsuura Shigenobu ruled Hirado Island. He defeated the So of Tsushima Island and supported Hideyoshi's invasion of Kyushu. He led 3,000 men in the First Invasion of Korea as part of Konishi Yukinaga's division. Took part in the Second Invasion where the Matsuura led the attack on the well-defended fortress town of Namwon defended by Koreans and Chinese troops.

Matsuura standard bearers led the attack on Namwon with two white hata jirushi displaying the 'three star' and mulberry leaf mon of the Matsuura. The red nobori was used by the Matsuura navy. The Lesser standard (ko uma-jirushi) was a 'saba no o' (Mackerel's tail) that still survives today. The 'three star' mon can be seen repeated on the 3d O uma-jirushi and in the 'hata jirushi' style samurai sashimono.

The Matsuura banners are described in detail in Turnbull's 'Samurai Warfare' with photos of the actual artifact and in Rekishi Gunzo color plates. In Korea the Matsuura army displayed many red nobori, but there were only two white hata-jirushi.

The Matsuura banners evolved after they returned from Korea, with some difference by the time of Sekigahara, where the Matsuura remained neutral.

Shigenobu's father and grandson shared the same name, Matsuura Takanobu. Confusing as another later family member will also be named Shigenobu.

A red fukinuki has replaced the 3d 'three star' o uma-jirushi, while a simpler 3d 'three star' standard has replaced the 'Mackerel's tail' Lesser Standard. The predominant color is red, but a blue sashimono exists, suggesting that samurai units may have displayed sashimono using the five lucky colors.

The Matsuura troops are well illustrated in the large Matsuura Kakemono, a hanging scroll displayed in the Matsuura Historical Museum in Hirado. Matsuura Seizan Kiyoshi and his men are portrayed in the scroll.

The banners above are still 'works in progress', and is just a small sample of what can be seen in the scroll which displays banners down to 'squad level' with various samurai and ashigaru units each with their own unique nobori, uma-jirushi, or/and 'uniformed' armour.

Last edited by evalerio on Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eval,

The Matsuura work is most impressive!

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
Gert
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Date masamune? I like to see some pictures of:
O-uma Jirushi(Gold plume with black umbrella?)
Ko-uma Jirushi (Black Nobori?)
Nobori(Blue with gold sun on top?)
Ashigaru Sashimono (white with bowl and chopsticks mon, Red/white with black strip?)
Samurai Sashimono (White with Date mon?)
Tsukaiban (?)

I need this information for wargaming..
Thanks in advance.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gert wrote:
Date masamune? I like to see some pictures of:
O-uma Jirushi(Gold plume with black umbrella?)
Ko-uma Jirushi (Black Nobori?)
Nobori(Blue with gold sun on top?)
Ashigaru Sashimono (white with bowl and chopsticks mon, Red/white with black strip?)
Samurai Sashimono (White with Date mon?)
Tsukaiban (?)

Thanks in advance.
You can always buy a book! Wink

evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Date is currently not on my 'to do' list.

The SHIMABARRA REBELLION 1637- 38

The Itakura who served the Tokugawa. Itakura Shigemune fought at Sekigahara and the Siege of Osaka. His younger brother Itakura Shigemasa also took part in the siege of Osaka. As the commander of the forces laying siege to Hara castle during the Shimabarra Rebellion, Shigemasa was killed by an arrow leading an assault on Hara.

The nobori and the white Chinese lantern standard are illustrated in Turnbull's 'Samurai Heraldry'. The complete set is described in The Sourcebook, so most of the 3d standards are my interpretations on these descriptions. The red lantern standard is speculation based on an 'incomplete' description. The two feather balls standard I assume as black as all the other plumes in the set were black. I have no information on the appearance of Itakura ashigaru.

Matsudaira (Okochi) Nobutsuna took over as commander of the forces besieging Hara castle after the death of Itakura Shigemasa. He would succeed in defeating the rebels, ending the Shimabarra Rebellion.

The complete set appears in 'O Uma-jirushi' and illustrated in Osprey's 'Samurai Heraldry'. I have no clue as to what the paper 'objects' are hanging from the tree standard. The 'spoked' wheel mon are three folding fans arranged into a wheel design.

Terazawa Hirotaka served Toyotomi Hideyoshi during the Kyushu campaign and the invasion of Korea. He would later serve Tokugawa Ieyasu. In the Osaka Winter Campaign Hirotaka took up positions across from the Sanada maru, beside the artillery emplacement of Ii Naotaka bombarding Osaka castle.

The cruelty of Hirotaka's son Katataka led to unrest in their domains leading up to the Shimabarra Rebellion.

The complete set appears in 'O Uma-jirushi' and in 'Osprey's 'Samurai heraldry'

MATSUDAIRA MITSUYUKI - Fought at Shimabarra. His heraldry appear in O Uma-jirushi. The nobori is identical to the Kuroda, an RG heraldry book misidentified this set in the folding screen as belonging to Kuroda Tadayuki.

Last edited by evalerio on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:04 pm; edited 7 times in total
Ogami Itto
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have just arrived from a long vacation in Egypt, and what a pleasant surprise i got when i logged in on the forum this morning! Absolutely stunning work Emmanuel!
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
evalerio wrote:
Gert wrote:
Date masamune?
Thanks in advance.

A book devoted to the Date is currently available online from Killer Katanas, so the Date is currently not on my 'to do' list.

Check Templar's thread on 'Heraldry During the Sengoku Era' for the reply on the Date.

You have to do them any way -- just to be complete and consistent.

To work, man, to work! <schwap!>

Tony
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
AJBryant wrote:

You have to do them any way -- just to be complete and consistent.
To work, man, to work! <schwap!>
Tony

All right. Embarassed

Last edited by evalerio on Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:44 pm; edited 15 times in total
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOL!

Tony
Gert
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOL. But buying an expensive book for only a few pictures is a bit crazy i think.. This kind of information should be available on the internet anyway!
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gert wrote:
LOL. But buying an expensive book for only a few pictures is a bit crazy i think.. This kind of information should be available on the internet anyway!

I hardly think 1,800 - 2,000 yen, before shipping, hardly qualifies as being "expensive". 1,800 yen is only about 12 euro. And it is only because of the generosity of people like Eval and Templar, who put the time and effort to draw these and post them that they are on the internet. You should be quite thankful and GRATEFUL!!! Evil or Very Mad

shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have Evalerio's drawings on my website and have had a number of positive comments. If more comprehensive with background text these would make an invaluable resource. Well worth a good price. John
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Koide were linked by marriage to Toyotomi Hideyoshi. Koide Yoshimasa (1565-1613) would fight for Ishida Mitsunari during the Sekigahara Campaign. His sons Yoshihide and Yoshichika would submit to Tokugawa Ieyasu and fight for him during the Osaka Campaign.

Koide Yoshichika took up positions in the siege lines east of Osaka castle. A Koide contingent led by a Yoshifusa was positioned south east of the Sanada maru.

Koide banners appear in 'O Uma-jirushi'. Yoshichika's banners appear in Osprey's 'Samurai Heraldry'.

I haven't found sashimono for Koide ashigaru, but I have in my armour reference of an unidentified ashigaru armour. Lacquered black with a very large gold disc painted on the breastplate. The character 'ko' (on Yoshichika's nobori) painted black inside the large gold disc.

Last edited by evalerio on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:45 pm; edited 13 times in total
Gert
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really (really) am grateful, dont worry about that. Very Happy
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Splendid work as always.

Really -- you should consider a book, man.

Tony
Akaguma
Kibamusha
Kibamusha
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
AJBryant wrote:
Splendid work as always.

Really -- you should consider a book, man.

Tony

I do agree with Tony !!!

Just two questions :

Do you know what means the symbol on Mukai Takamatsu's Sashimono. It almost looks like hiragana mu む, which would make sense.

About Matsuura... I know that 松浦 is usually supposed to be read Matsuura, but I always thought that in the case of this very family of Hizen province, 松浦 was contracted in Matsura (thus eliding a "u").
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Formerly in the service of the Amako, Kamei Korenori submitted to Oda Nobunaga. He served Hideyoshi during the Kyushu Campaign.

The Kamei had wako pedigree and in the invasion of Korea they took part in depredations, the most awful wako raid of all. A golden fan presented to Korenori by Hideyoshi was captured by the Koreans at the sea battle of Tangpo.

The Kamei would later serve Tokugawa Ieyasu. The Kamei appear in the Sekigahara screen, fighting alongside the vanguard of Fukushima Masanori.

The set appears in 'O Uma-jirushi', where the sashimono and horo appear gold or ochre. The complete set can be seen in the Sekigahara screen, but with white sashimono. The Sourcebook also describe the white sashimono and a black tsukaiban horo. I wonder if the Sourcebook was refering to the ko uma-jirushi, which appear to be a black horo.

Last edited by evalerio on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:31 am; edited 18 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: